Monday, February 29, 2016

Practice Repoooooort

Another week, another Monday practice. Last one I'll be at for three weeks, because Carolingian council, Gulf Wars, and Gulf Wars. So life goes.

It was a good practice. Super well-attended, with at least two people who I have never seen there before. I'm going to do some bulleted lists again today, because I do so love them.

  • Rotating-false-edge-cutty-parry-thing worked pretty well. Positioning is super important with it, and I didn't get the positioning down while fighting until about 3/4 of the way through practice, but it felt like it created possibilities so long as I made sure to create a large angle at the intersection of my sword and their sword.
    • I'm not sure it's good for the niche I was trying to use it to fill, however. Just using better opposition might be better choice for that niche?
    • Regardless, it warrants further study.
    • It was fun to sleaze distance by false-edge-parrying back and forth repeatedly.
  • Destreza feels really good with the franken-weapon I assembled for Rodrigo. It's heavier than my normal sword, and has about the same center of balance, but handles completely differently and is more suited to cuts. Also, it's a 42" blade instead of a 45" blade.
    • The back virtual point of balance is about an inch farther back.
    • The front one is in about the same place? Maybe a bit farther forward.
    • Measurements must be taken to confirm these things.
    • Maybe I should try to math out the volume of steel in it to figure out actual weight measurements?
  • Fighting people who keep their sword far offline is weird. 
    • I can adopt a Giganti stance and drop my sword really low, cutting a 90-degree angle between mine and theirs in order to maximize the tempo required for action.
    • I can adopt a Silver-esque stance and try to choke off their range of motion by putting my dagger in spaces that makes it so they can't just throw straight shots at my hand or body.
I also won the tournament thing that Rodrigo ran. Nips of booze, yaaay! I backed lightly into someone's fencing case, then backed into it hard and tried to forfeit because I shouldn't be doing that twice. But, my honorable and noble opponent, Remy, talked me down and I ended up winning the tournament.

I should bring this entry to a close. But, a quick Plus-Minus-Plus exercise:
  • Good Thing I Did That I Should Keep Doing
    • I brought the new false-edge cutty-parry-beat-thing into several fights and learned what I needed to do differently in order to improve.
  • Area for Improvement
    • I need to make sure not to back up into the edge of the list more than once, even if I end up losing because of that.
  • Other Good Thing I Did That I Should Keep Doing
    • Used my stances effectively.
Yay fencing!

No comments:

Post a Comment