There was some casual fencing at the event I went to earlier today. In order to make sure I retain this information, I am noting it down here.
I have been performing the action which I have been calling a "yield" incorrectly. Where previously I was both covering myself and escaping from my blade being covered by simply raising my hilt vertically, I have found that this is incorrect.
The appropriate way to perform this action is to push my hilt directly in the direction of my opponent's sword. This allows me to simply glide my hilt down their blade until my tip touches them. The old way of doing this left a gap in my guard which certain fencers have been able to ruthlessly take advantage of. This method of performing the "yield" makes it applicable to shorter weapons, where previously it was not.
No comments:
Post a Comment